USEFUL TIPS AND HINTS ON USING YOUR GPS - GARMIN MAPSOURCE
Garmin Mapsource also known as Garmin Trips and Waypoints is supplied free with certain models of GPS units when purchased (like Garmin 60,76 X series and others) but not with other models like car based NUVIs and ZUMOs.
Unfortunately, if you don't have Mapsource, you won't be able to install these and any other 3rd party Garmin GPS maps to your GPS unit.
Other advantages of Mapsource are:-
- Opening and saving files in gdb, mps, gpx and loc formats
- Free world road basemap (very rough but useful enough to do quick searches for major cities, countries and highways)
- Create and save waypoints, routes and tracks
- Export waypoints, tracks and routes to Google Earth (opens in Google Earth)
- Unlocking locked maps like City Navigator and other locked third party maps
If you do need it, you could purchase it from Garmin or get it free using the following method:-
- Install the FREE Garmin Training Center software that is in itself a very good introduction and tutorial to using Mapsource
- Once installed, download latest Mapsource update
FOR THE MORE ADVENTUROUS ...
TRY THIS MORE EFFICIENT METHOD TO INSTALL MAPSOURCE
GO BACK TO HINTS AND TIPS ON USING GPS ARTICLES PAGE
GO BACK TO MAIN ARTICLES PAGE