NEW ZEALAND TRAMPING, WALKING, HIKING TRACKS GPS MAP
VERSION May 2009
THERE IS A MORE UP TODATE AND "CLEANER" VERSION HERE
- Added new tracks and named lots more previously un-named tracks
- Added new zig zag route up Tongariro Day Crossing thanks to tracklog from zenbu
- Added some known cycling and mountain biking tracks especially arouond Whakarewarewa Forest (Rotorua)
- Added regional boundaries
- Added names of towns to make it easier to locate tracks (when you have the NZ open GPS street maps turned off)
Next large development will see release of Department of Conservation's tracks (Tramping/Walking/Mountain Biking) maps
AVAILABLE NOW (SEPT 2009)
Free download, scroll down to bottom of page....
VERSION DEC 2008
- FIXED AUTO ROUTING ISSUE - MAPS NOW AUTO ROUTES CORRECTLY
VERSION NOV 2008
- Street Searchable - search for track names - eg Tongariro Northern Circuit
(ever been asked when tramping - "Are we there yet? or How much further to go?" - Now you can give a precise time / ETA and distance remaining to next stop!)
- Track Names some with distances and time to complete
- POIs of key tramping features:-
- correct hut positions
- key track junctions
- track start and end points
- track hazards/obstructions
- Key viewpoints
- Waterfalls etc
- Check out details available around Tongariro National Park, including Tongariro Northern Circuit, Tongariro Crossing Day walk etc around this area - S39.19973 E175.54170 (zoom into around 700m or so)
- You'll need to turn either mapset off when using these.
- For example, while driving to the track, turn the NZ tramping tracks map OFF on your GPS,
- when you arrive and start walking, turn OFF the NZOGPS road maps and turn ON the NZ Tramping maps.
- If you have both maps on, auto routing may not work at all.
- Turn off NZOGPS Maps and auto routing will work on the NZ Tramping maps.
- Alternatively, save these maps on separate SD / micro SD cards and insert them when you need them.
- When using the maps on your GPS UNIT - Please remember to change to the auto routing setting to "Calculate Route for PEDESTRIAN". This will then calculate time and ETA using 5km/h "speed limit" rather than the faster speed limits for vehicles. This is remarkably accurate for most of the routes I used if you don't stop and dally around on the track!
On a Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSX, to use this setting, go to:-
SETUP - ROUTING - FOLLOW ROAD OPTIONS - Calculate Routes for PEDESTRIAN.
- Lots of tracks needs to be removed as they are not actually proper tramping/walking tracks and may not even have legal access rights - be warned!
- Use this at own risk!
- Common sense should prevail - if you come across a track that is not sign posted - chances are it's a private track so act accordingly!
NEED YOUR HELP TO IMPROVE THESE
- A lot of tracks not yet named
- A lot of paper roads, non legal roads, private driveways, farm tracks are still on these maps (need to be identified and deleted)
- POIs of actual HUT position - go to actual hut and click/record waypoint
- POIs of key junctions and start and end of tracks
Any other useful POIs
DISCLAIMER & LICENSING
- USE AT OWN RISK
- THE AUTHOR ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ANY DAMAGES INCURRED AS A RESULT OF USING THESE MAPS (Use them at your own risk or purchase commercial ones)
- MAPS MUST NOT BE SOLD.
- DISTRIBUTION MUST BE FREE - NO CHARGES MUST BE LEVIED WHEN LOADING MAPS ONTO SD CARDS OR LOADING MAPS INTO GPS UNITS (EXCEPT FOR COST OF MEDIA IF APPROPRIATE)
If these maps have been useful to you please kindly consider clicking on the
Donate button below which will take you to a secure Paypal Site where you can donate using most
major credit cards.
I leave it up to your generosity to decide on the amount of donation. Alternatively, please click a few Google ads links - won't cost you a dime. This will help towards covering my internet costs.
DOWNLOAD FREE NZ TRAMPING TRACKS MAP
DOWNLOAD FREE NZ TRAMPING AND WALKING TRACKS MAPS MAY 2009