Enjoy this free mapset until next time when more features will be added... :-)
Scroll to bottom for download link
FREE GARMIN NZ OPEN GPS AUTO ROUTING, DOC TRACKS AND SRTM 10M TOPO CONTOUR LINES MAP
SCREENSHOT ON A GARMIN 60CSX
MrPurple (Apr 2010)
"I recently had the pleasure of tramping the Hikurangi Range between Purity hut and McKinnon Hut (The track for which I'll upload to RC to add to his tracks). Unfortunately at 6:30pm We discovered that our dog had eaten some rat bait...
So, while I wouldnt recommend night tramping , we we're able to use RCs maps to find our way in the pitch black over to the road end over the next 6 hours (normally a 3 hour tramp). We lost the track a number of times and without the GPS and RCs integrated topo map we surely wouldnt have been able to get out, jump in the car and make a quick getaway to the vet at Taihape for the antidote.
So here's a special thanks from us and our dog to the GPS community for these maps you lot are truely life savers!
(The dog is fine now - just as naughty as ever)"
Fantastic maps! Can't wait to try them out in the wild. Any ETA on a revision that includes NZ streams and rivers? Also, how about allocating some nice icons to features such as DOC Backcountry Huts, instead of the tiny square icon they have currently. At the moment, I've used the "Custom POI" method to do this.
Have just loaded successfully onto 76CSx and all looks great. Perfect have route-able tracks and topo available at the same time.
Off to the Coromandel, so will see how they go in the wild.
Thanks for all your great work here!
I use them! I have GTMaps Topos loaded as well but find myself only using your ones. Having the autorouting DOC tramping tracks is a major plus. The only thing I've found is that the bush shading is a little rough at times, but overall they're awesome.
"...However, I much prefer the Garmin Software, given that I can load the whole mapset of NZ. I am going out to test it on some local bush walks tomorrow. I have tested it around the neighbourhood, it is scary how accurate it is!
Do you expect that the minor rivers/streams (like on the linz maps) will be in the next mapset? If I knew how to do this, I would help, I love playing around with this stuff! I just succeeded in creating an 'overlay' of a topo50 map onto google earth, to see if the rivers line up & the huts are in the same place, it worked perfectly!
"Many thanks, it was an easy 10 minute download (no download manager etc) so will install it on a few units to try out.
Laymen like myself have no idea of the number of hours the OP (Open Project) mappers already contribute so this extra effort is certainly appreciated.
It's uncanny to be able to use the route tool on a track!"
I am new to all of this, however I am very impressed with the accuracy of this particular mapset you have been working on. I have the entire map loaded onto my Windows Mobile Phone, using a Bluetooth Garmin GPS receiver. I want to use it mainly for tramping, I would be really keen to see more of the minor 'hydro features' included. I have read this entire post & I take it that you are working on adding more detail to these maps. I just wanted to say that I am waiting in keen anticipation & to encourage you to keep up the fantastic work. =D>
Thanks to a R Birch from Australia who downloaded the CGIAR V4 SRTM 10m contour lines raw data and sent that to me to compile and incorporate into these maps.
- Street and address searching should work for both road and tracks
- Street Searchable - you can search for track names
- to SEARCH for ROAD MAPS, SELECT Country = NEW ZEALAND
- to SEARCH for TRACK names, SELECT Country = NZ-Doc
- Only contains DOC managed tracks, regional, city council or private tracks not available
- Please download my other tramping maps if you need a complete set of maps - in future the intention is to "merge" both these maps
- All tracks are named and identified by way of colour coding as either tramping grade (rough and require some route finding skills) or "motorway" grade - eg Great Walks! ;-)
- Auto Routing - gives you estimated time to your destination (based on 5km/h setting as long as you remember to reset your GPS unit for "walking mode")
- Track Names some with distances and time to complete
- POIs of key tramping features
- Different track types displayed differently on Mapsource and GPS using new features of the map compiler and also visible at three different zoom level setting!
- Valid types are MTB/Cycle Track, Great Walks (both these visible at LEAST detailed zoom level setting), Short Walk, Walking Track, Easy Tramping Track, Route and Historic Track (only viewable at MOST detailed zoom level)
- Base data from DOC had many errors which required hundreds of hours of work to clean up into a routeable and properly working - so enjoy and please feedback any further corrections
- Requires Garmin Mapsource to view and upload maps to your GPS
If these maps have been useful to you please kindly consider clicking on the
Donate button below which will take you to a secure Paypal Site where you can donate using most
major credit cards.
I leave it up to your generosity to decide on the amount of donation. Alternatively, please click a few Google ads links - won't cost you a dime. This will help towards covering my internet costs.
DOWNLOAD FREE NZ STREET & WALKING TRACKS INCL WATERWAYS TOPO MAP
DISCLAIMER & LICENSING
- USE AT OWN RISK
- THE AUTHOR ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ANY DAMAGES INCURRED AS A RESULT OF USING THESE MAPS (Use them at your own risk or purchase commercial ones)
- MAPS MUST NOT BE SOLD.
- DISTRIBUTION MUST BE FREE - NO CHARGES MUST BE LEVIED WHEN LOADING MAPS ONTO SD CARDS OR LOADING MAPS INTO GPS UNITS (EXCEPT FOR COST OF MEDIA IF APPROPRIATE)
- IF YOU OBTAINED MAPS FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE (ESPECIALLY PDA, MOBILE PHONE SOFTWARE SITES) THAT HAS RE-PACKAGED/RE-COMPILED THE MAPS INTO A SINGLE MAP, CHANCES ARE THAT AUTO ROUTING AND SEARCHING WILL NOT WORK - AT WORSE IT MAY EVEN CONTAIN TROJAN HORSE - DELETE THOSE AND GET IT HERE
DOWNLOAD FREE NZ ROAD, TRAMPING, WATERWAYS AND TOPOGRAPHICAL MAPS - 13 MAY 2010 EDITION
DOWNLOAD FREE NZ ROAD, TRAMPING, WATERWAYS AND TOPOGRAPHICAL MAPS - 20 APR 2010 EDITION
LINK REMOVED - MAPS UPDATED
OLDER VERSIONS CAN BE DOWNLOADED HERE